last australian combat troops leave afghanistan
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Last Australian combat troops leave Afghanistan

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Last Australian combat troops leave Afghanistan

Sydney - AFP
Australian combat troops have completed their withdrawal from Afghanistan, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Monday, marking the end of the nation's longest war which left 40 of its soldiers dead. Abbott announced that more than 1,000 troops would pull out from the restive southern province of Uruzgan before the end of the year during a surprise visit to their base at Tarin Kot in October. The drawdown was completed Sunday and most soldiers were expected to be home for Christmas. "This war is ending, not with victory, not with defeat, but with hope that Afghanistan is a better place and Uruzgan in particular is a better place for our presence," Abbott said. "I firmly believe that to be the case." Canberra first committed troops to Afghanistan following the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, but they have been in Uruzgan since late 2005. "We know that they've paid a high price -- 40 dead and 261 seriously wounded -- but that sacrifice has not been in vain," Abbott said, referring to the 12-year mission. "Uruzgan today is a very significantly different and better place than it was a decade ago." Some 400 Australians will remain in Afghanistan in non-combat roles, mostly in Kabul and Kandahar, but the bulk of the 1,550 Australians who had been serving there were now out of the country. "None of them are expected to be involved in combat," Abbott said of those remaining to work with the Afghan police and army. Asked whether he was confident local authorities could take over security, Abbott said Australians troops were happy with the progress made by the Afghan National Army (ANA) brigade they had mentored. "We can't predict the future, we have no crystal ball, but it's very easy to be defeatist at a time like this and I don't think there's all that much evidence to justify it," he said. "The ANA has performed with considerable distinction over the last fighting season." Abbott said since the war in Afghanistan had begun, the Taliban regime had been replaced, Al-Qaeda and their sympathisers had been driven out of their safe havens, and a degree of stability had returned to the region. "If you look at the benefits for our country, for Afghanistan and for the wider world, my conclusion is yes it has been worth it," he said. "But not for a second would I underestimate the price that has been paid by individuals and families." Defence Minister David Johnston said the drawdown was an enormous logistical achievement but the Australian mission there had closed and the majority of troops had left the country. "They are in the air and on their way home," he said. More than 25,000 Australians have served in Afghanistan since 2001 when Australia joined close ally the United States to fight the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

last australian combat troops leave afghanistan last australian combat troops leave afghanistan

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

last australian combat troops leave afghanistan last australian combat troops leave afghanistan

 



GMT 20:27 2017 Tuesday ,29 August

Sharapova wins Slam return, ousts Halep at US Open

GMT 10:51 2016 Tuesday ,22 November

Klinsmann fired as US coach

GMT 20:29 2017 Saturday ,21 October

Batshuayi brace gets Chelsea back on track

GMT 12:20 2016 Friday ,23 September

Allegri tells jittery Juve

GMT 02:36 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

New hunt for flight MH370 gets under way

GMT 04:34 2018 Wednesday ,10 January

Conte will 'not forget' war of words

GMT 13:56 2018 Tuesday ,09 January

Hariri receives Italian, Russian ambassadors

GMT 17:05 2017 Friday ,07 July

UN evacuates some staff from Syrian capital

GMT 16:24 2017 Friday ,13 October

Seychelles schools closed over plague fears

GMT 19:29 2017 Thursday ,30 March

Wadih al-Azzazi calls for activating news coverage
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday