netanyahu vows to settle accounts after rise in palestinian attacks
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Netanyahu vows to 'settle accounts' after rise in Palestinian attacks

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Netanyahu vows to 'settle accounts' after rise in Palestinian attacks

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
Tel Aviv - DPA

Israel was grappling with an uptick in Palestinian violence on Thursday after three separate incidents, two in the West Bank and one in Jerusalem, left two Israelis dead.

The three suspected Palestinian perpetrators were also confirmed dead.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed that Israel would "settle accounts with whoever did this."

"Today we suffered a harsh attack in which two soldiers were killed," he said. "Our guiding principle is that whoever attacks us and whoever tries to attack us – will pay with his life. Our enemies know this and we will find them."

The Israeli army temporarily blocked access to and from the Palestinian city of Ramallah after two Israeli soldiers were killed in a shooting in at a bus stop in the West Bank. A third soldier was severely wounded and another Israeli was also in a serious condition.

The army set up checkpoints on all roads into the city after the shooting. The army said that the attacker got out of a car and shot at soldiers and civilians before fleeing by car toward Ramallah.

The army believed there was only one assailant and was searching the Ramallah area for him, army spokesman Jonathan Conricus told reporters.

Hamas lauded the attack, while the Palestinian Authority condemned the recent violence.

Palestinian media called the Israeli move a "siege."

Later in the day, an Israeli soldier was lightly wounded in what the army called an attempted car-ramming attack in the Palestinian city of al-Bireh, north-east of Ramallah.

The driver attempted to run over Israeli soldiers on duty at the location, according to the army. "Security forces who were present at the scene fired towards the terrorist and neutralized him," the army said.

Palestinian media said the Palestinian driver was a 60-year-old man who had been trying to get home and got caught in the clashes in al-Bireh on his way. Witnesses said the man appeared to have panicked and tried to drive away when he drove towards the soldiers.

Disturbances in the West Bank had been planned on Thursday morning after Israeli security forces found and killed two Palestinians who had allegedly perpetrated two separate deadly attacks in the West Bank, one on Sunday near the Ofra settlement and another two months ago in the industrial area of Barkan.

Hamas claimed responsibility for both attacks.

On Wednesday night, an Israeli baby, born prematurely after its mother was critically injured in the Ofra attack, died at a Jerusalem hospital.

Thursday's attack resembles the Ofra attack, a drive-by shooting at a bus stop just outside the settlement.

A stabbing attack also occurred Thursday morning in the Old City of Jerusalem, in which police said the assailant had attempted to stab a Jewish man and then stabbed and wounded two border police officers, who then shot and killed the attacker.

Member of parliament Uri Ariel of the far-right Jewish Home party said that in the wake of the attacks, several MPs would meet on Thursday evening "to discuss our continuation in the government and the coalition." If they leave the coalition, it will bring down the government which has a razor-thin majority in the parliament.

Netanyahu later instructed that the homes of the terrorists be demolished within 48 hours and decided to increase security and settlement building in the West Bank.

A statement put out by the office of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas blamed "repeated incursions into the cities, incitement against the president and the absence of a horizon for peace" for the surge in violence, which it said it rejected and condemned.

Meanwhile, Abdulatif al-Qanou’a, Hamas' spokesman in Gaza, said that the shooting "was a response to the crimes and behaviour of the Israeli occupation."

"The men and the youths of the West Bank will carry on being revolutionists in the face of the occupation and will remain in a status of a permanent confrontation with it until it is defeated," he said.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said he was "deeply concerned" about the recent violence and urged Israeli and Palestinian security services to work together to restore calm and avoid an escalation.

Guterres "condemns all acts of violence and terrorism, in particular against innocent civilians," his spokesman Farhan Haq said Thursday.

Israel occupied the West Bank, which is claimed by Palestinians for their future state, in the 1967 Six-Day War.

Much of the international community considers Israeli settlements illegal and an impediment to the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

netanyahu vows to settle accounts after rise in palestinian attacks netanyahu vows to settle accounts after rise in palestinian attacks

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

netanyahu vows to settle accounts after rise in palestinian attacks netanyahu vows to settle accounts after rise in palestinian attacks

 



GMT 22:34 2017 Sunday ,03 September

Paris region oil wells pumping on borrowed time

GMT 19:35 2017 Sunday ,30 July

New Nissan Leaf to feature e-Pedal

GMT 16:29 2017 Wednesday ,20 September

Amouta prepares suitable formation

GMT 17:05 2018 Thursday ,04 January

Japan imports 24.848 million barrels of crude from UAE

GMT 12:19 2017 Saturday ,21 January

EU probe launched into ECB links with private banks

GMT 15:50 2017 Monday ,05 June

Cyprus leaders meet UN chief to salvage talks

GMT 05:58 2017 Sunday ,11 June

Malabar Gold & Diamonds announces summer offers

GMT 21:59 2016 Tuesday ,06 September

Kabul charity hit by bomb, gun attack

GMT 20:03 2017 Thursday ,10 August

Bin Zayed offers condolences on death of Bakhita

GMT 15:49 2017 Saturday ,18 February

Fierce clashes continue in Syria's Raqqa

GMT 14:51 2017 Monday ,20 February

Ways to acquire presentation skills

GMT 18:19 2017 Saturday ,07 October

Turkey expects primary surplus at $ 1.26bn

GMT 12:28 2017 Monday ,23 January

Dior blasts sweatshirt culture in rave Paris show

GMT 10:52 2017 Wednesday ,29 March

Bahrain Bourse daily trading report

GMT 01:16 2017 Tuesday ,24 January

Obama releases more Bin Laden documents

GMT 18:58 2017 Monday ,27 November

Louvre Abu Dhabi set to become ‘iconic image’
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday