murray nishikori out of australian open as injury list grows
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Murray, Nishikori out of Australian Open as injury list grows

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Murray, Nishikori out of Australian Open as injury list grows

Former world number one Andy Murray and Japan's Kei Nishikori pulled out of the Australian Open Thursday as
Melbourne - Arab Today

Former world number one Andy Murray and Japan's Kei Nishikori pulled out of the Australian Open Thursday as a host of top names battle to be fit for the year's first Grand Slam.

Murray, 30, had failed to recover from a hip injury sustained last year and has not played since losing in the Wimbledon quarter-finals last July, while Nishikori has been on the sidelines since August due to a torn tendon in his right wrist.

"Sadly I won't be playing in Melbourne this year, as I am not yet ready to compete," the three-time Grand Slam champion Murray said in a statement.

"I'll be flying home shortly to assess all the options but I appreciate all the messages of support and I hope to be back playing soon."

Murray, who earlier withdrew from the Brisbane International, did fly from Queensland to Melbourne, but only to catch a connecting flight back to Europe, the national broadcaster ABC reported.

- 'Hard decision' -

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said he respected what was a "very hard decision for Andy."

The loss of the Scot, who may now opt for surgery on his hip, came with injury clouds hanging over a who's who of stars before the Open begins on January 15

World number one Rafael Nadal and six-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic remain huge doubts having yet to play a competitive match this year.

Nadal, the reigning French Open and US Open champion, pulled out of Brisbane at the weekend with a knee injury but said he still intends to play at Melbourne Park.

Former world number one Novak Djokovic has not played since a right elbow issue forced him to quit Wimbledon in the quarter-finals.

He cancelled scheduled appearances in Abu Dhabi and Doha but intends to test the injury next week at two warm-up events in Melbourne before deciding whether to embark on a tilt at a record seventh Aussie title.

"Novak is travelling to Australia where he will take part in two exhibition tournaments," said a statement on 12-time Grand Slam winner's website early Thursday. "After the two events, the decision will be made about his participation."

World number eight Jack Sock joined the growing injury list when he injured his hip at the Hopman Cup in Perth on Tuesday.

Former champion Stan Wawrinka and Canada's Milos Raonic are also returning from injuries but intend to play in Melbourne.

On the women's side of the draw there are question marks over the fitness of defending champion Serena Williams, who has not played competitively since giving birth four months ago.

- 'Game becoming more physical' -

And British number one Johanna Konta, a semi-finalist in Melbourne two years ago, retired from her Brisbane quarter-final Thursday with a right hip injury and was not sure if she would defend her Sydney International title next week.

"Hips take a massive beating," Konta said.

"Obviously, our game is becoming more and more physical and the demands of the tour as well, week-in and week-out, is becoming more demanding."

Earlier in the week Wimbledon champion and world number two Garbine Muguruza was forced to retire at Brisbane with severe leg cramps, though the Spaniard two-time Grand Slam winner on Thursday accepted a wildcard to play in Sydney.

US Open champion Sloane Stephens pulled out of Brisbane before the tournament to rest a troublesome knee but is entered for Sydney.

And upcoming French star Caroline Garcia, who enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2017 rising to eight in the world, retired in tears with back pain from the same event on Sunday.

Asian number one Nishikori said his rehab had been "going well but I am just not ready 100 percent to come back yet in best of five set matches".

The 28-year-old made the fourth round of the Australian Open last year, losing in five sets to eventual champion Roger Federer, who at the age of 36 appears to be one of the few top names to be fully fit

Source: AFP

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

murray nishikori out of australian open as injury list grows murray nishikori out of australian open as injury list grows

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

murray nishikori out of australian open as injury list grows murray nishikori out of australian open as injury list grows

 



GMT 10:29 2013 Monday ,02 December

Cyprus university first to accept bitcoin

GMT 10:44 2017 Saturday ,15 April

Unheralded Jang leads Lotte Championship

GMT 20:15 2015 Sunday ,22 November

Indian capital to observe Car-Free Day in January

GMT 10:10 2017 Sunday ,26 November

Oscars bid for story of 'Pakistan's toughest woman'

GMT 18:58 2018 Wednesday ,24 October

CSKA Moscow defeated by Italy’s Roma 0-3 in UEFA

GMT 01:27 2018 Tuesday ,02 January

Two Christians killed in New Year attack

GMT 03:04 2017 Saturday ,12 August

February20th-March20th

GMT 07:51 2017 Wednesday ,15 March

After fleeing homes, Iraqis near Mosul wait for tents

GMT 05:28 2017 Thursday ,18 May

No concessions on YPG from Erdogan-Trump meeting

GMT 02:51 2017 Wednesday ,19 July

Trump taps Jon Huntsman as US ambassador to Russia

GMT 08:42 2017 Thursday ,06 April

Sympathy with UAE against Reform Party campaign

GMT 06:05 2016 Saturday ,19 November

Saudi deputy CP holds phone talks with German FM

GMT 04:52 2017 Tuesday ,21 March

Canadian teacher wins $1m global prize in Dubai

GMT 21:51 2017 Tuesday ,19 September

Player confident of Wydad’s qualification

GMT 04:09 2017 Saturday ,22 April

Coalition calls for UN. supervision of Yemen port

GMT 11:39 2011 Tuesday ,31 May

Titanic launch 100 years ago marked in Belfast
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday