The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) Monday called on Abdulmalek Al-Houthi, the leader of Ansar Allah Movement, to stop his incitement against Yemeni media and to withdraw his forces from media organisations they are currently occupying.
The latest attack took place last Tuesday when a group of his supporters, backed by armed militia, took over Al-Thawra, the biggest state-owned newspaper in Yemen.
"We call on Al Houthi to end the occupation of media and to stop threatening journalists who criticise his movement," said IFJ President Jim Boumelha in a statement here tonight.
"This is a dangerous path and we hold him personally responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the journalists working for these media," he said.
The occupation of Al-Thawra comes after armed militia from Ansar Allah Movement took over the headquarters of Yemen TV, the official broadcaster, last September.
Since then, there have been several documented attacks by militants affiliated to this group against private media and threats to journalists, noted the IFJ.
It said that last Sunday, Abdulmalek Al Houthi attacked the media and journalists in a speech made to tribal leaders.
The Brussels-based IFJ represents more than 600,000 journalists in 134 countries.