indonesian government to send relief aids for aceh earthquake victims
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Indonesian government to send relief aids for Aceh earthquake victims

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Indonesian government to send relief aids for Aceh earthquake victims

earthquake
Jakarta - ArabToday

Indonesian Social Minister Khofifah Indar Parawansa said on Wednesday that relief aid and volunteers will be immediately sent to the westernmost province of Aceh which was just hit by a devastating earthquake earlier in the day.

"We want to assure that our mobile food processor can access the location in Pidie Jaya. We would maximize our assistance and relief distribution to the affected area despite problems due to the cracked roads heading there," the minister said in a statement.

She said about 33,000 volunteers will also be deployed to Pidie Jaya.

First batch of materials to arrive will be foods, tents and clothes and the National Disaster Mitigation Agency will cooperate with the Social Ministry and local authorities in the rescue work, the minister said.

An earthquake of 6.4 magnitude struck Pidie Jaya at 5:03 a.m. Wednesday local time, followed by aftershocks in several minutes.

An official at Aceh disaster mitigation agency said that the earthquake has killed at least 40 people and injured 190 others with tens of others still trapped under piles of debris of collapsed buildings.

Epicenter of the earthquake was identified in 10 kilometers north of Aceh northern city of Reuleut, at a depth of 17 kilometers. No tsunami warning has been issued by Indonesian climatology and geophysics agency.

Officials overseeing the affected district of Pidie Jaya, located 18 kilometers southwest from the epicenter, said that at least 40 buildings collapsed due to the earthquake.

Activities to evacuate victims are underway at present. Excavators were deployed to remove debris from collapsed buildings.

Video footage taken by amateurs showed eerie situation on the scene. A two-story mosque collapsed and flattened to the ground. Another footage showed a collapsed compound of shops which was also used as houses where many are believed to be still trapped under piles of debris.

A collapsed house was seen fall onto a car whose lamps were still on and its alarms continue to emit warning sounds.

Reports said that residents in the district frantically sought higher ground to save their families' lives.

Aceh province's capital of Banda Aceh saw a deadly earthquake in Dec. 2004 that was followed by tsunami, killing over 160,000 people.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to earthquakes due to its location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault lines in the Pacific Basin.

source: Xinhua

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

indonesian government to send relief aids for aceh earthquake victims indonesian government to send relief aids for aceh earthquake victims

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

indonesian government to send relief aids for aceh earthquake victims indonesian government to send relief aids for aceh earthquake victims

 



GMT 03:53 2017 Wednesday ,11 January

The UAE announces legal system for venture capital funds

GMT 11:35 2017 Thursday ,07 September

Actor Ali Rabei reveals his future works

GMT 06:18 2017 Thursday ,28 September

Russian women desperately seek daughters

GMT 19:27 2018 Tuesday ,04 September

RCO: to honour 535 students high-achievers

GMT 07:02 2017 Saturday ,23 December

Obama says will 'degrade and destroy' Islamic State

GMT 12:34 2017 Wednesday ,15 November

Sad farewell for Italian football legend Buffon

GMT 13:38 2018 Thursday ,13 December

Maduro says meeting with Putin most useful in his career

GMT 15:52 2016 Wednesday ,27 April

300 cars arrive at Port Tawfiq port

GMT 11:41 2017 Sunday ,24 September

Di Maio: the face of populists eyeing power in Italy
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday