laporte launches campaign to become federation president
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Laporte launches campaign to become federation president

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Laporte launches campaign to become federation president

Bernard Laporte
Gaillac - Arab Today

Former France coach Bernard Laporte launched his bid to become president of the rugby federation (FFR) on Tuesday by delivering a stinging attack on his former employers.
The 51-year-old Toulon manager, who guided France to two successive World Cup semi-finals (2003 and 2007), said he would return the federation to its former status of being open to all and end the elitist image it had developed under present incumbent Pierre Camou.

"The Federation is with you one day and against you the next," said Laporte, who launched his campaign in Gaillac, the south-western town where he began his playing career as a scrum-half.

"My programme is to return the federation to you and not leave it in the hands of three or four people at Marcoussis (the headquarters of the federation) who have total control.

"Marcoussis is an impregnable fortress, disdainful and with a refusal to listen," added Laporte, who has coached Toulon to an unprecedented three successive European Cup victories.

Laporte, who served as secretary for sport in the French government from 2007-09, cited the building of a new stadium at a cost of 600 million euros ($677 million), to which he is vehemently opposed, to host all France's home internationals from 2020 as an example of the Camou regime's refusal to listen.

"Those who have raised questions (about the viability of building the stadium) are told 'you, shut up, you are not in charge of this dossier'," said Laporte.

Laporte also wants to reduce the Top 14 to 12 teams and get rid of the knockout stages at the end of the season in order to help create a stronger national side, a proposal that may not go down well with the clubs.

So far, he is the first to declare his candidacy for an election that will not take place until the end of 2016.

Camou, who has been in charge since 2008, has not said whether he will seek another mandate, while France rugby legend now a federation vice-president, Serge Blanco, performed a U-turn after saying he would run in February but then rapidly pulled out, saying it wasn't the right time for him to be a candidate.
Source: AFP

 

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

laporte launches campaign to become federation president laporte launches campaign to become federation president

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

laporte launches campaign to become federation president laporte launches campaign to become federation president

 



GMT 01:55 2017 Wednesday ,22 February

Russia implicated in MH17 crash in Ukraine

GMT 02:14 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

Dubai Culture hosts series of Stamp Design Workshops

GMT 13:20 2017 Friday ,28 April

Concussion ends All Black Broadhurst's career

GMT 17:15 2017 Saturday ,09 December

Macron warns against Mideast meddling

GMT 10:28 2017 Thursday ,06 July

Mona Wasef chooses her roles carefully

GMT 11:07 2018 Monday ,22 January

Fuel Your Fitness Habit

GMT 22:47 2017 Wednesday ,09 August

UAE allocates $4 billion in support to Egypt

GMT 10:27 2017 Sunday ,24 December

Bahrain to host 5th Arab Housing Conference in 2018

GMT 15:59 2017 Sunday ,05 February

Abu Dhabi emergency and crisis management team ready

GMT 17:27 2017 Tuesday ,08 August

49ers linebacker Smith to miss 2017 NFL season
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday