at least three dead in mogadishu car bombings
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

At least three dead in Mogadishu car bombings

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today At least three dead in Mogadishu car bombings

At least 14 people were killed in coordinated car bombings in Mogadishu
Mogadishu - Arab Today

At least 14 people were killed in coordinated car bombings followed by an attack on a hotel in the Somali capital Mogadishu on Saturday, claimed by Shabaab Islamists.

Following the blasts, witnesses reported hearing gunfire at the Nasa Hablod Hotel 2 which was sealed off by security forces with gunmen believed to be inside.

"About 14 people, most of them civilians, were confirmed dead so far and the security forces are still working to ensure the area is clear," said security official Mohamed Moalim Adan.

He said "sporadic gunfire" was continuing with at least two gunmen from the Shabaab Islamist group believed to be inside the hotel. One senior police official and a former MP were among the dead.

The attack came two weeks after a massive truck bomb exploded in central Mogadishu, killing at least 358 people, making it the deadliest attack in the troubled country's history.

The Al-Qaeda-affiliated Shabaab claimed Saturday's bombing and hotel assault in a statement on its Andalus radio station.

"The Mujahedeen fighters are inside Nasa Hablod 2 hotel where... apostate officials are staying," said the brief statement.

Mogadishu's Aamin ambulance service removed bodies from the scene and evacuated 17 wounded, its director Abdukadir Abdurahman said.

Police official Ibrahim Mohamed said the attack started when a car bomb went off at the entrance to the hotel while "a minibus loaded with explosives" was detonated at a nearby intersection.

- Gunfire inside the hotel -

Witnesses then reported hearing shooting from inside the hotel.

"We can hear the gunfire but it is difficult to know who is fighting, the forces cordoned off the building and no one can go close to it," said Abdulahi Nure.

Fellow witness Ismail Muktar said, "We can hear sporadic gunfire and grenade blasts and the area is very dark because the electric line was cut off amid the blast."

"Most people fled the hotel through a back door but some are still trapped inside," said Mohamed Dek, who was escaped the hotel after the initial explosion.

"I was very lucky," he added.

The Nasa Hablod 2 is a popular hotel located in the north of the city whose sister hotel, the Nasa Hablod, was hit by Shabaab militants in June 2016, in an attack that killed 11 people, including a junior minister.

The Shabaab has made attacks on hotels -- commonly beginning with a suicide car bombing followed by an invasion by gunmen -- a regular strategy in its decade old battle to overthrow successive internationally-backed governments in Mogadishu.

The Shabaab lost their foothold in Mogadishu in 2011 but have continued their fight, launching regular attacks on military, government and civilian targets in the capital and elsewhere.

Source: AFP

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

at least three dead in mogadishu car bombings at least three dead in mogadishu car bombings

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

at least three dead in mogadishu car bombings at least three dead in mogadishu car bombings

 



GMT 10:56 2017 Thursday ,09 November

Mauritanian President Concludes visit to Sudan

GMT 04:00 2017 Wednesday ,06 September

1 dead in road accident in Safra

GMT 06:46 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Mortada: Inacio to pay for his statements

GMT 19:00 2017 Sunday ,29 January

Ghadhban: Customs thwarts smuggling

GMT 17:56 2017 Sunday ,05 March

Will Smith visits Egypt with his family

GMT 18:43 2018 Wednesday ,31 October

Egyptian pollution plan signals the last straw cloud

GMT 09:21 2017 Wednesday ,19 April

Trump era a new challenge for the IMF

GMT 09:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Robberies see Brazil F1 tests cancelled

GMT 09:06 2017 Thursday ,02 February

Beyonce and Jay Z expecting twins

GMT 10:22 2017 Wednesday ,15 February

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique lambasted after PSG humbling

GMT 11:22 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Rahi arrives in Kfarb'alJbeil on a parish visit

GMT 01:20 2018 Thursday ,11 January

200 arrested, dozens hurt in fresh Tunisia unrest
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday