man held over bomb hoax on qataruk flight
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Man held over 'bomb hoax' on Qatar-UK flight

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Man held over 'bomb hoax' on Qatar-UK flight

The new Air Traffic Control tower Manchester Airport
Manchester - AFP

British police on Tuesday arrested a man suspected of making a hoax bomb threat aboard a Qatar Airways plane that caused it to be escorted down by a military fighter jet.
A Royal Air Force (RAF) Typhoon guided the plane, which was travelling from Doha with 282 people on board, to Manchester airport in northwest England.
Witnesses on board said armed police entered the aircraft and escorted the suspect off with his hands on his head.
"A 47-year-old man from the northwest (of England) has been arrested on suspicion of making a bomb hoax and remains in police custody for questioning," said Chief Superintendent John O'Hare of Greater Manchester Police.
"A full search of the aircraft has now finished and nothing suspicious was found.
"The incident arose when the pilot received information about a possible device on board the plane, having been handed a note from a passenger."
Several emergency response vehicles could be seen parked around the plane.
Passenger Aurang Zeb, 60, said: "I saw all the police with guns. Lots of police everywhere.
"Kids were crying, some people looked very worried because of rumours there's a bomb on the plane."
He said two armed police officers came on board and removed the suspect passenger, adding: "They sat him up and said, 'Put your hands up'. He did not say anything."
Qatar Airways said there were 269 passengers and 13 crew aboard the Airbus A330-300 plane.
"The crew had received a threat about a possible device on board and Qatar Airways immediately took all the necessary precautions to alert British authorities," the airline said.
"The crew is now fully assisting police at the airport with their inquiries."
An RAF spokesman said: "We can confirm that Typhoon aircraft were launched from RAF Coningsby in their quick reaction alert role this afternoon to investigate a civilian aircraft whose pilot had requested assistance.
"The aircraft was escorted to Manchester where it landed safely."
Passenger Matthew Cox, 24, from nearby Chester, said: "There was a general kind of nervousness but there was no full-scale panic once on the ground."
He said all the passengers' luggage was searched before they were allowed to leave the airport.
Manchester Airport said nine incoming flights had been diverted to other destinations, five of them to Leeds Bradford Airport, 40 miles (70 kilometres) away.
The airport soon resumed business as usual.
Defence ministry figures given to parliament in June said that fighter jets were scrambled on quick reaction alert on 17 days last year, 21 the year before and 20 in 2011.
Not every launch resulted in an interception as some incidents were resolved beforehand.

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

man held over bomb hoax on qataruk flight man held over bomb hoax on qataruk flight

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

man held over bomb hoax on qataruk flight man held over bomb hoax on qataruk flight

 



GMT 06:11 2017 Wednesday ,23 August

Venezuela asks pope help, vaunts Russia ties versus US

GMT 22:06 2017 Friday ,13 January

A star for a star!

GMT 21:19 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

Egyptian-Chinese relations firm, strong

GMT 12:24 2015 Thursday ,08 January

European airlines 'cannot keep up'

GMT 12:57 2017 Sunday ,05 February

Actor Ahmed Ezz expects success of new film

GMT 05:03 2017 Thursday ,19 October

Jewellery brand Arco Studio launches & appoints PR

GMT 19:46 2017 Thursday ,13 April

Egypt ranks third in the world in mining

GMT 01:08 2017 Friday ,18 August

Sri Lanka cuts taxes to lift disaster-hit economy
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday