gaza us condemns barbaric hamas ceasefire breach
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Gaza: US condemns barbaric Hamas ceasefire breach

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Gaza: US condemns barbaric Hamas ceasefire breach

An Israeli soldier prepares his equipment
Washington - AFP

The United States placed the blame for Friday's rapid breakdown in the latest Gaza ceasefire squarely at the door of Hamas, accusing the Palestinian militants of launching a "barbaric" attack.
In recent days Washington had begun to express concern about the rising Palestinian civilian death toll in Israel's assault on Gaza, while still strongly backing its right to defend itself.
But on Friday, after reports that Hamas fighters had killed two Israeli soldiers and captured a third, the White House came down strongly on the side of its ally and demanded the soldier be released.
"The United States condemns in the strongest possible terms today's attack, which led to the killing of two Israeli soldiers and the apparent abduction of another," Secretary of State John Kerry said.
"It was an outrageous violation of the ceasefire negotiated over the past several days, and of the assurances given to the United States and the United Nations."
Kerry demanded that Hamas "immediately and unconditionally release the missing Israeli soldier."
Israel ended a three-day truce only hours after it began, accusing Hamas of ambushing its troops.
Hamas for its part accused Israel of breaching the ceasefire after intensive shelling killed dozens of people in southern Gaza, but Washington sided with its ally's version of events.
"The Israelis of course are reporting this morning that that ceasefire was broken," White House spokesman Josh Earnest told CNN.
"Apparently, Hamas individuals used the cover of a humanitarian ceasefire to attack Israeli soldiers and even to take one hostage. That would be a rather barbaric violation of the ceasefire."
Earlier, Gaza had enjoyed a brief respite after Kerry and the United Nations announced a "humanitarian truce," what should have been the longest of several agreed since the conflict broke out on July 8.
Starting from 0500 GMT, it was supposed to mark a halt in the fighting that has killed nearly 1,500 on the Palestinian side, mostly civilians, and 63 Israeli soldiers and three civilians on the other.
The death toll has now passed that of Israel's 2009 "Cast Lead" operation against Gaza, and Washington raised concerns Thursday after Israeli shelling apparently hit a UN school sheltering refugees.
These concerns were pushed aside by Friday, however, when US officials insisted the priority was now the safe release of the missing soldier.
In 2006, when militants captured soldier Gilad Shalit, Israeli forces conducted a five-month operation agaisnt Gaza. He was released in 2011 in exchange for around a thousand Palestinians.
Kerry called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu from India to discuss steps toward restoring calm, and said he would consult "regional partners" and the United Nations.
- 'Incredibly fragile' -
Deputy National Security Adviser Tony Blinken defended US diplomacy, denying that confusion between an Egyptian-led initiative and one from Turkey and Qatar had undermined peace efforts.
"The reason for going through Turkey, going through Qatar, is they have a relationship with Hamas. They need to use their influence with Hamas," he told MSNBC.
"The Egyptians had an initiative. The Israelis signed up to it repeatedly and that was a good basis for trying to move forward.
"But Secretary Kerry said last night in announcing this humanitarian pause that it was incredibly fragile and unfortunately we've seen the demonstration that that's true."
Both US officials defended Israel against the charge that its assault on Gaza had been needlessly reckless with civilian lives, while still expressing concern over the death toll.
"Hamas intentionally targets civilians. The Israelis do everything they can to avoid targeting civilians," Blinken said, accusing Hamas of using Palestinians as "in effect human shields."
"Israel holds itself to a very high standard, but what we've seen is that it's incredibly difficult to meet its very own high standard."

 

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

gaza us condemns barbaric hamas ceasefire breach gaza us condemns barbaric hamas ceasefire breach

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

gaza us condemns barbaric hamas ceasefire breach gaza us condemns barbaric hamas ceasefire breach

 



GMT 06:11 2017 Wednesday ,23 August

Venezuela asks pope help, vaunts Russia ties versus US

GMT 22:06 2017 Friday ,13 January

A star for a star!

GMT 21:19 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

Egyptian-Chinese relations firm, strong

GMT 12:24 2015 Thursday ,08 January

European airlines 'cannot keep up'

GMT 12:57 2017 Sunday ,05 February

Actor Ahmed Ezz expects success of new film

GMT 05:03 2017 Thursday ,19 October

Jewellery brand Arco Studio launches & appoints PR

GMT 19:46 2017 Thursday ,13 April

Egypt ranks third in the world in mining

GMT 01:08 2017 Friday ,18 August

Sri Lanka cuts taxes to lift disaster-hit economy
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday