gaza truce holds officials travel to cairo for talks
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Gaza truce holds, officials travel to Cairo for talks

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Gaza truce holds, officials travel to Cairo for talks

A Palestinian man inspects a damaged apartment
Gaza City - AFP

A 72-hour truce took root Tuesday in Gaza, as Israeli and Palestinian delegations travelled to Cairo to try to extend the ceasefire and families picked through the debris of war.
The guns fell silent after 29 days of fighting, bringing relief to millions as both sides counted the cost from a conflict that killed 1,875 Palestinians and 67 people in Israel.
Officials on both sides confirmed they had sent small delegations to Cairo for talks aimed at securing a permanent ceasefire after the three-day window closes.
But there is an uphill diplomatic battle ahead.
Negotiators in the Egyptian capital will likely confront conflicting demands on both sides.
The Palestinians insist Israel end its eight-year blockade of Gaza and open border crossings, while Israel wants Gaza fully demilitarised.
But after the longest period of quiet since fighting began, Palestinian foreign minister Riyad al-Maliki said he expected "the ceasefire to expand into another 72 hours and beyond".
In Gaza City, people came out in numbers, children played on the street and the beach, and some shops reopened for the first time in days.
Others ventured home for the first time only to witness scenes of devastation.
"What am I going to tell my wife and children? I don't want them to see this! They will go crazy," said Khayri Hasan al-Masri, a father of three who returned to his heavily damaged home in Beit Hanun in the north after fleeing when Israel's ground offensive began on July 17.
Gaping holes have pierced the walls of his home. There is a mortar in the living room, a bazooka upstairs.
At a bullet-riddled girls' school, an Israeli flag and an anti-Hamas slogan had been etched on the wall of a classroom, and discarded ration packs and tuna cans labelled in Hebrew littered the floor.
In southern Israel, there was relief but scepticism.
"I never trust Hamas; we don't trust them," said Orly Doron, an Israeli mother living in a kibbutz on the Gaza border that has been battered by rocket fire.
"We had three or four ceasefires during this war; we all saw they weren't kept."
Just minutes before the truce took hold, sirens wailed in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv as Hamas fired 16 rockets over the border, while Israeli warplanes carried out at least five strikes on Gaza.
It is the second time in four days the two sides had agreed to observe a 72-hour humanitarian truce. The last attempt on August 1 -- brokered by Washington and the UN -- was shattered within just 90 minutes.
- Israeli troops leave Gaza -
As the new truce went into force, Israel withdrew its troops, ending the ground operation aimed at destroying tunnels Gaza militants use to attack its territory.
Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner said troops would be "deployed in defensive positions" outside Gaza and would respond to any truce violations.
The ceasefire, announced by Egypt late on Monday, marks the quietest period since fighting began.
Medics in Gaza reported no new deaths or injuries since midnight.
The Palestinian health ministry said 1,875 Palestinians had been killed during the conflict, including 430 children, and said 9,567 people had been wounded, including 2,878 children.
The quiet allowed emergency workers to move into previously inaccessible areas, with the worst devastation near the southern city of Rafah, which had been flattened in a massive Israeli assault that began Friday.
In the West Bank city of Ramallah, deputy economy minister Taysir Amro said the 29-day war had caused damage of up to $6 billion dollars (4.5 billion euros).
The latest breakthrough emerged in Cairo where Palestinian and Egyptian mediators had held two days of talks with Hamas and Islamic Jihad representatives.
The Israeli security cabinet is meeting to discuss efforts to secure a long-term ceasefire deal.
- Cairo consultations -
The United States and the United Nations have welcomed the truce, saying the onus was on Hamas to uphold its end of the deal.
Israel had also been subject to increasingly harsh criticism over the high number of civilian casualties during its military operation launched on July 8 to counter rocket fire from Gaza.
The army says it destroyed 32 cross-border tunnels, struck nearly 4,800 targets and killed 900 Palestinian "terrorists".
"We struck just over 3,000 rockets; they launched over 3,300 rockets and we expect that they still have about 3,000 rockets left. This is a challenge we have to address," Lerner said.
Yossi Kuperwasser, director general of the strategic affairs ministry, said Israel needed assurances in Cairo that the ceasefire would "last for a long time and that Hamas is not going to rearm itself."
Jordan also presented a new resolution to the UN calling for a lasting ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, and an international effort to rebuild the Palestinian enclave.

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

gaza truce holds officials travel to cairo for talks gaza truce holds officials travel to cairo for talks

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

gaza truce holds officials travel to cairo for talks gaza truce holds officials travel to cairo for talks

 



GMT 06:11 2017 Wednesday ,23 August

Venezuela asks pope help, vaunts Russia ties versus US

GMT 22:06 2017 Friday ,13 January

A star for a star!

GMT 21:19 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

Egyptian-Chinese relations firm, strong

GMT 12:24 2015 Thursday ,08 January

European airlines 'cannot keep up'

GMT 12:57 2017 Sunday ,05 February

Actor Ahmed Ezz expects success of new film

GMT 05:03 2017 Thursday ,19 October

Jewellery brand Arco Studio launches & appoints PR

GMT 19:46 2017 Thursday ,13 April

Egypt ranks third in the world in mining

GMT 01:08 2017 Friday ,18 August

Sri Lanka cuts taxes to lift disaster-hit economy
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday