over 30 killed as gunmen dressed as doctors raid kabul hospital
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Over 30 killed as gunmen dressed as doctors raid Kabul hospital

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Over 30 killed as gunmen dressed as doctors raid Kabul hospital

Afghan men walk toward a military hospital to see their relatives after blast and
Kabul - Arab today

 Gunmen dressed as doctors stormed Afghanistan's largest military hospital Wednesday, killing more than 30 people in a six-hour attack claimed by the Daesh radical group as it makes inroads into the war-battered country.

Around 50 others were wounded in the assault on the Sardar Daud Khan hospital, with explosions and gunfire rattling Kabul's diplomatic district as dense clouds of smoke rose in the sky.

Medical staff hunkered down in the hospital wards posted desperate messages for help on social media. Television footage showed some of them trapped on the ledge of a top-floor window.

"Attackers are inside the hospital. Pray for us," a hospital staff member wrote on Facebook.

Hospital administrators told AFP three gunmen wearing white laboratory coats began spraying bullets after a suicide bomber on foot blew himself up at the backdoor entrance, sparking chaos inside the 400-bed facility.

"I saw one of the attackers, armed with an AK-47 and dressed as a doctor, shooting at patients and guards on the third floor," hospital nurse Abdul Qadeer told AFP.

"They shot my friend but I managed to flee... I had to jump over the barbed wire to escape."

At least two other loud explosions - including what the defence ministry called a car bomb in the hospital's parking lot - were heard as Afghan special forces launched a clearance operation that lasted around six hours.

The attackers were gunned down after special forces landed on the roof of the hospital in a military helicopter.

"More than 30 people were killed and around 50 wounded in today's attack," defence ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri told AFP. "Most of the victims are patients, doctors and nurses."

'Criminal act'

Afghanistan's warring parties, including government forces, have repeatedly targeted medical facilities, decimating the country's fragile health system and preventing conflict-displaced civilians from accessing life-saving care.

"This is a criminal act. Nothing can justify an attack on hospitals," Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah said of the latest attack.

"We will never forgive these criminals. Unfortunately, this attack has resulted in some casualties."

Daesh militants claimed the attack via a verified Telegram account.

The more powerful Taliban said they were not behind the raid. The militant group, Afghanistan's largest, is known to distance itself from attacks on medical facilities or those that result in high civilian casualties.

The assault comes just a week after 16 people were killed in simultaneous Taliban suicide assaults on two security compounds in Kabul.

Dozens of others were wounded as a suicide car bomber struck an Afghan police precinct in western Kabul and a five-hour gun battle ensued after another attacker sneaked in.

In the second attack last week, a suicide bomber blew himself up at the gates of an Afghan intelligence agency branch in eastern Kabul.

The carnage underscores rising insecurity. The country is bracing for an intense fighting season in the spring as the government's repeated bids to launch peace negotiations with the Taliban have failed.

Afghan forces, already beset by record casualties, desertions and non-existent "ghost soldiers" on the payroll, have been struggling to beat back insurgents since US-led Nato troops ended their combat mission in December 2014.

Kabul last month endorsed US General John Nicholson's call for thousands of additional coalition troops to hold off the militants before the spring offensive.

Extra troops were needed to end the stalemate in the war, Nicholson, the top US commander in Afghanistan, told the US Congress in what could be President Donald Trump's first major test of military strategy

source : gulfnews

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

over 30 killed as gunmen dressed as doctors raid kabul hospital over 30 killed as gunmen dressed as doctors raid kabul hospital

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

over 30 killed as gunmen dressed as doctors raid kabul hospital over 30 killed as gunmen dressed as doctors raid kabul hospital

 



GMT 12:54 2017 Saturday ,21 October

Malaysia Airlines picks new CEO

GMT 21:24 2017 Wednesday ,05 April

27 Daesh militants killed in Afghanistan

GMT 10:12 2017 Friday ,10 November

Interior Minister meets Interpol Chief

GMT 02:05 2017 Tuesday ,12 September

Quake hits off Japan's Fukushima, no damage or Tsunami

GMT 12:40 2014 Monday ,03 November

Egyptian diplomat addresses AUC on his new novel

GMT 23:25 2017 Monday ,09 January

Death sentences upheld in killing of UAE officer

GMT 01:31 2016 Sunday ,25 December

'Year of Giving'' will help heal wounds

GMT 12:44 2014 Tuesday ,05 August

5 theories for why first-born children are smarter

GMT 15:11 2017 Tuesday ,21 February

Hungarian slaughterhouse love story wins

GMT 13:32 2017 Saturday ,29 April

28th Arab Scout Conference to Conclude Tomorrow

GMT 13:12 2016 Wednesday ,21 December

FILA Bubbles 'OG' Receives a General Release for Holiday

GMT 03:21 2017 Wednesday ,08 March

Saudi Aramco to pay Shell $2.2b in refinery breakup

GMT 17:05 2017 Sunday ,16 April

Qatar and Philippines sign ‘$200m contracts’

GMT 13:31 2017 Thursday ,27 April

Philippine president vows to engage China in talks

GMT 12:39 2017 Saturday ,30 September

Aguero out '2-4 weeks' after crash, say Manchester City

GMT 02:31 2017 Tuesday ,10 January

Sisi meets Egypt's winger Mohamed Salah

GMT 00:43 2017 Thursday ,10 August

EON confident for 2017 after favourable winds in Q2
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday