senegal extradites guinean soldier wanted over massacre
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

Senegal extradites Guinean soldier wanted over massacre

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Senegal extradites Guinean soldier wanted over massacre

Guinean soldier Aboubacar Sidiki Diakite
Conakry , Guinea - Arab Today

A Guinean soldier wanted over the massacre of more than 150 people in a Conakry stadium has been extradited, ending years on the run in neighboring Senegal and paving the way for his trial.
Aboubakar Sidiki Diakite, also known as Toumba Diakite, was an aide de camp to Guinean coup leader Dadis Camara when 157 people were killed in September 2009 at an opposition rally.
Witnesses reported presidential guards firing on the crowd, beating and arresting opposition leaders, and raping dozens of women in the stadium.
Two months later, Diakite shot Camara after a dispute over responsibility for the massacre, then fled. Both men are accused of ordering the killings.
Diakite was extradited on a commercial flight on Sunday night, his Senegalese lawyer Baba Diop told AFP.
Diop complained the move was “beyond the legal scope” of the courts and Senegal’s President Macky Sall, who approved the transfer on Feb. 10.
The Guinean government said in a statement Monday that it welcomed Diakite’s arrival, which it said it had “wanted and ordered.”
Arrested in Dakar on Dec. 16, Diakite caused a sensation in the local press after it was revealed he had lived unnoticed in a quiet suburb of the city for five years after changing his identity and appearance.
Asmaou Diallo, president of a victims’ association, said on Monday the extradition showed “Guinean justice is willing to tackle impunity in Guinea and to organize (a) credible trial,” adding that victims had already waited seven years to see Diakite in court.
Camara, Diakite’s commander, took power by force in 2008 after the death of longtime leader Lansana Conte and ruled until the attempt on his life. He survived and remains in exile in Burkina Faso.
Guinea has since returned to civilian rule.

Source: Arab News

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

senegal extradites guinean soldier wanted over massacre senegal extradites guinean soldier wanted over massacre

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

senegal extradites guinean soldier wanted over massacre senegal extradites guinean soldier wanted over massacre

 



GMT 09:12 2018 Wednesday ,12 December

Ford trains 1,600 motorists in Mideast, Africa in 2018

GMT 08:36 2017 Saturday ,14 October

Boeing, GE Iran contracts face new uncertainties

GMT 03:12 2017 Monday ,04 September

NATO condemns North Korea’s sixth nuclear test

GMT 00:24 2017 Saturday ,18 March

Pedestrians account for 30% of road deaths in Dubai

GMT 05:55 2014 Wednesday ,03 September

Russian photojournalist mssing in Ukraine is dead

GMT 05:25 2018 Wednesday ,03 January

LAB SERIES launches MAX LS Power V Instant Eye Lift

GMT 13:39 2015 Monday ,26 October

Genetics may increase heart disease risk in women

GMT 09:16 2017 Saturday ,28 January

New clip to be released by Valentine’s Day

GMT 21:36 2017 Monday ,27 February

Minister finishes delivery of schools books

GMT 16:39 2017 Saturday ,25 November

PSG coach Emery happy with Mbappe

GMT 12:42 2017 Wednesday ,08 November

Waymo cars hit the the road without drivers

GMT 17:46 2017 Monday ,06 February

Libya rescues 120 migrants off Tripoli coast

GMT 03:05 2018 Thursday ,11 January

Chinese marathon champion banned
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday