fears of exploding whales as new zealand clears carcasses
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

With gas and explode as they decompose

Fears of exploding whales as New Zealand clears carcasses

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Fears of exploding whales as New Zealand clears carcasses

An estimated 666 pilot whales were stranded in two pods at Farewell Spit
Wellington - Arab Today

The grim task of clearing hundreds of washed-up whale carcasses was under way in New Zealand Tuesday, with the beach closed over fears the bodies will fill with gas and explode as they decompose.

The sands at Farewell Spit where the nearly 700 pilot whales beached in one of the largest mass strandings ever in New Zealand were closed to the public after authorities declared the rotting bodies a health risk.

The Department of Conservation said the carcasses of more than 300 whales were being trucked to an inaccessible location where nature would be allowed to take its course. 

Conservation spokesman Herb Christophers said dealing with so many dead pilot whales -- each of which can be six metres (20 feet) long -- was a logistical challenge.

"They're being moved but they haven't been cleared out yet, not by a long chalk," he told AFP. 

"It's going to be a few days' work just getting them off the beach."

Before the whales were moved, conservation workers in bio-hazard suits punctured the carcasses in an attempt to stop them ballooning up with gas then popping.

"I've seen exploding whales, it's not a pretty sight," said Christophers.

Departmental ranger Amanda Harvey said many of the dead no longer resembled whales. 

"Unfortunately, when a whale heats up, a lot of pressure builds up in their body and the only option is for them to explode," she told TVNZ.

In total, an estimated 666 whales were stranded in two pods on Friday and Saturday at Farewell Spit, on the northern tip of the South Island.

About three-quarters of the first pod of 416 died, while the survivors and the second pod of about 250 were successfully re-floated.

Christophers said no freshly beached whales had been found Tuesday, although wildlife officers remained on high alert because of the mammals' tendency to re-strand themselves.

Farewell Spit, about 150 kilometres (95 miles) west of the tourist town of Nelson, has witnessed at least nine pilot whale strandings in the past decade, although the latest was by far the largest.

The 26-kilometre (16-mile) hook of sand that protrudes out into the sea creates a shallow seabed that is believed to interfere with the whales' sonar navigation systems.

Source: AFP

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

fears of exploding whales as new zealand clears carcasses fears of exploding whales as new zealand clears carcasses

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

fears of exploding whales as new zealand clears carcasses fears of exploding whales as new zealand clears carcasses

 



GMT 01:55 2017 Wednesday ,22 February

Russia implicated in MH17 crash in Ukraine

GMT 02:14 2017 Tuesday ,14 February

Dubai Culture hosts series of Stamp Design Workshops

GMT 13:20 2017 Friday ,28 April

Concussion ends All Black Broadhurst's career

GMT 17:15 2017 Saturday ,09 December

Macron warns against Mideast meddling

GMT 10:28 2017 Thursday ,06 July

Mona Wasef chooses her roles carefully

GMT 11:07 2018 Monday ,22 January

Fuel Your Fitness Habit

GMT 22:47 2017 Wednesday ,09 August

UAE allocates $4 billion in support to Egypt

GMT 10:27 2017 Sunday ,24 December

Bahrain to host 5th Arab Housing Conference in 2018

GMT 15:59 2017 Sunday ,05 February

Abu Dhabi emergency and crisis management team ready

GMT 17:27 2017 Tuesday ,08 August

49ers linebacker Smith to miss 2017 NFL season

GMT 04:49 2016 Wednesday ,07 December

FEDCOC chairman lauds Egypt reform measures

GMT 05:24 2017 Wednesday ,27 September

Angola swears in Lourenco, first new president

GMT 09:09 2017 Wednesday ,19 April

Braille reading contest winners honoured

GMT 21:40 2017 Tuesday ,31 October

Egypt, Italy mull cooperation in debt

GMT 06:58 2016 Wednesday ,13 April

Raises alarm over threats to fragile Syria truce
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday