mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

the last major Ukrainian provider in the area

Mobile connection partially restored in war-torn east Ukraine

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Mobile connection partially restored in war-torn east Ukraine

Sim cards of mobile operator "Phoenix" with a slogan reading "Connection.
Donetsk - Arab Today

Mobile phone access was partially restored in war-torn eastern Ukraine on Friday after it was lost more than a week ago, the last major Ukrainian provider in the area said.

Almost two million people lost mobile connection in the devastated region after a Vodafone Ukraine fibre optic line was cut on January 11 as a result of fighting.

The provider sought to restore service after its workers had received security assurances from the warring parties in a conflict that has claimed more than 10,000 lives in nearly four years.

"Repair work on the restoration of communications... is completed. In the Lugansk region, communication services are provided in full," Vodafone Ukraine said in its statement, referring to the smaller of two breakaway provinces.

Meanwhile, the insurgent-controlled parts of the bigger Donetsk region still remain without a mobile connection.

"In the Donetsk region, the network does not work for reasons unknown to us. There is a possibility that the equipment is out of order or there is no power supply," Vodafone added.

The separatist authorities of the self-proclaimed Lugansk republic confirmed the restoration of mobile phone access as Donetsk leaders declared no changes in the area under their control.

The outage all but severed communication between family members living on opposite sides of the frontline splitting eastern Ukraine.

Russian-backed operator Pheonix, now the sole provider in Donetsk, only this week introduced a service that is theoretically able to place calls to Kiev-controlled regions at international rates.

The departure of Ukraine's KyivStar in 2015 and Lifecell last year left Vodafone as the only major provider in the region of some 3.5 million people.

This has left Phoenix filling the void in Donetsk, but it has only 600,000 subscribers and is already operating at full capacity.

The self-declared "communications minister" of Donetsk, Viktor Yashchenko, told the separatist DAN news agency earlier this week that 80,000 people had joined Phoenix since Vodafone went down.

Source: AFP

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine mobile connection partially restored in wartorn east ukraine

 



GMT 10:56 2017 Thursday ,09 November

Mauritanian President Concludes visit to Sudan

GMT 04:00 2017 Wednesday ,06 September

1 dead in road accident in Safra

GMT 06:46 2017 Thursday ,27 July

Mortada: Inacio to pay for his statements

GMT 19:00 2017 Sunday ,29 January

Ghadhban: Customs thwarts smuggling

GMT 17:56 2017 Sunday ,05 March

Will Smith visits Egypt with his family

GMT 18:43 2018 Wednesday ,31 October

Egyptian pollution plan signals the last straw cloud

GMT 09:21 2017 Wednesday ,19 April

Trump era a new challenge for the IMF

GMT 09:04 2017 Tuesday ,14 November

Robberies see Brazil F1 tests cancelled

GMT 09:06 2017 Thursday ,02 February

Beyonce and Jay Z expecting twins

GMT 10:22 2017 Wednesday ,15 February

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique lambasted after PSG humbling

GMT 11:22 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Rahi arrives in Kfarb'alJbeil on a parish visit

GMT 01:20 2018 Thursday ,11 January

200 arrested, dozens hurt in fresh Tunisia unrest
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday