2 us generals sacked over security lapse at afghan base
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Last Updated : GMT 06:49:16
Arab Today, arab today

After deadly attack last year by Taliban

2 US generals sacked over security lapse at Afghan base

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today 2 US generals sacked over security lapse at Afghan base

US Marines at Camp Bastion in Helmand province, Afghanistan
Kabul - Arab Today

US Marines at Camp Bastion in Helmand province, Afghanistan The commandant of the US Marine Corps sacked two generals in the wake of a deadly attack last year by the Taliban on a major NATO base in Afghanistan. General James Amos announced the extraordinary decision after a military investigation found Major General Charles Gurganus and Major General Gregg Sturdevant failed to take sufficient action to safeguard the base from a possible assault by insurgents, the Marine Corps said in a statement.
Two Marines were killed in the September 14-15 attack on Camp Bastion in southern Afghanistan, eight others were wounded and six fighter aircraft were destroyed.
Endorsing the probe's findings, Amos wrote that he was aware of the difficulties faced by the Marines amid a troop withdrawal in Afghanistan, but "my duty requires me to remain true to the timeless axioms relating to command responsibility and accountability."
He added: "Responsibility and accountability are the sacred tenets of Commandership."
Amos recommended to the Navy secretary that Gurganus's nomination for promotion to the rank of Lieutenant General be rescinded and that Sturdevant receive a letter of censure. And he asked both officers to retire, the statement said.
Amos said Gurganus, who had overall command of the base as head of Regional Command Southwest, bore "final accountability for the lives and equipment under his charge."
According to Amos, the general "made an error in judgment when conducting his risk assessment of the enemy's capabilities and intentions" towards the base, which included the British-run airfield at Bastion and a Marine installation, Camp Leatherneck.
Amos concluded that Sturdevant, who oversaw the aviation arm of the Marine force at the base, failed to "adequately assess the force protection situation" at Bastion and had responsibility to add his own security forces to the British contingent guarding the airfield if necessary.
"Marines can never place complete reliance for their own safety in the hands of another force," Amos wrote.
In arriving at his decision, Amos "acknowledged the inherent risks of combat and the challenges faced by both commanders in striking the proper balance between aggressively pursuing the enemy and safeguarding their forces."
However, Amos found that the commanders "did not exercise the level of judgment expected of General Officers" and had to be held accountable.
Source: AFP

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

2 us generals sacked over security lapse at afghan base 2 us generals sacked over security lapse at afghan base

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

2 us generals sacked over security lapse at afghan base 2 us generals sacked over security lapse at afghan base

 



GMT 14:27 2017 Monday ,06 March

Long-awaited ‘twenty4’ hits the shelves

GMT 10:03 2018 Monday ,10 December

23 Palestinians arrested in West Bank

GMT 14:25 2012 Tuesday ,14 February

Ibrahim El-Fiky dies in fire

GMT 16:51 2017 Friday ,10 March

OCP Acquires the First Biogas Engines in Morocco

GMT 04:18 2018 Wednesday ,10 January

UN urges Israel to scrap African migrant relocation plan

GMT 17:20 2017 Sunday ,31 December

UAE Ambassador, Omani Minister of Social Development

GMT 05:19 2017 Sunday ,15 January

Sanjay Dutt biopic shoot begins with Ranbir Kapoor

GMT 01:59 2017 Sunday ,29 October

Apr21/May21

GMT 02:56 2017 Saturday ,11 March

Scientists say global warming did not take break

GMT 12:07 2017 Monday ,17 April

Doha Municipality Celebrates GCC Food Day

GMT 22:54 2017 Thursday ,16 November

IMF forecasts UAE growth to triple in 2018

GMT 13:50 2018 Sunday ,07 October

Jewellary export up 76.5% in two months
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday