Forgot about someone on the holiday shopping list? Looking for a “little something” to fill that stocking? Need a gift but don’t know what to give? Marianne Sciucco, indie author of the popular Alzheimer's love story Blue Hydrangeas, offers twelve reasons a book may be the perfect last minute present.
"Books are timeless and ageless," says Sciucco, who reads more than fifty books a year and wishes she could write as fast. "There's something for everyone on that gift list regardless of age, reading level or personal interests. When in doubt, a book may be the safest bet."
Here are her top twelve reasons to head for the local bookseller before it closes on Christmas Eve:
1. Gift shopping is a great excuse to spend some time at a favorite bookstore, whether it's the big boxstore in the mall, the local bookseller on Main Street, or a favorite online store. Many hours can happily be consumed browsing and choosing books for everyone on that last-minute list.
2. There's a perfect price for every shopper. One can spend hundreds of dollars on an antique collectible or just a few bucks on the latest paperback bestseller, depending on their reader's needs and tastes.
3. A book can educate and entertain at the same time, perfect for children or kids at heart.
4. A book can transport a reader to another time and place, allowing them to see a different world without ever leaving home.
5. They’re easy to wrap.
6. Books are an affordable way to “wow” someone. Even the latest blockbuster bestseller costs much less than the latest electronic gadget, and will most likely outlive its obsolescence.
7. They’re easy to regift. And regift. And regift….
8. They come in many varieties, so it's easy to find just the right one to please even the fussiest of readers, whether it’s a hardcover, paperback, e-book, or audiobook.
9. The small ones, like mass media paperbacks, make excellent stocking stuffers. So do bookstore gift cards.
10. You can ask to borrow it after the reader’s read it without appearing tacky.
11. You can support your favorite books and authors by sharing them with others.
12. You can also support your favorite bookseller, ensuring that books of all kinds are always available.