King Salman on Monday rejected any suggestions that Saudi Arabia should give up its role as the organiser of the hajj following last month's deadly stampede in Mina.
"The irresponsible statements aiming for political exploitation of the incident... shall not affect the role of Saudi Arabia, its duty and responsibilities in serving the guests of God," the king said in a statement carried by SPA state news agency.
An Iranian top cleric had called for the hajj to be managed by other Islamic states after at least 464 Iranians were among 1,587 pilgrims killed in the stampede, according to figures given by foreign officials.
GMT 12:31 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilTurkey's AKP to hold extraordinary congress May 21
GMT 12:13 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilGerman inflation shoots up to 2.0% in April
GMT 12:11 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilRussian navy ship damaged in collision off Turkish coast
GMT 12:09 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilECB leaves key interest rates unchanged in April
GMT 12:07 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilCourt upholds Habre's war crimes life sentence
GMT 11:28 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilEU parliament slams 'brutal repression' in Venezuela
GMT 09:28 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilIsrael missiles hit near Damascus airport
GMT 08:56 2017 Thursday ,27 AprilEU Parliament says Le Pen 'fake jobs' cost 5 mn euros