Arab Today, arab today us stocks mixed as investors mull economic data
Last Updated : GMT 03:48:39
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today

US stocks mixed as investors mull economic data

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today US stocks mixed as investors mull economic data

New York - AFP

US stocks traded mixed Monday as investors weighed better-than-expected March retail sales numbers, a sharp slowdown in New York manufacturing and renewed eurozone debt tensions. The three main indexes opened with solid gains after a second straight weekly decline, but sentiment was tempered after a batch of contradictory signals on the health of the US economy. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 71.82 points (0.56 percent) to finish at 12,921.41. The broader S&P 500 inched down 0.69 point (0.05 percent) to 1,369.57, while the Nasdaq tumbled 22.93 (0.76 percent) to 2,988.40, under pressure from technology stocks. The Commerce Department reported overall retail and food service sales expanded by 0.8 percent last month, slightly below February's increase but better than analysts expected. But the New York state manufacturing index plunged to 6.6 in April, from 20.2 in March, and a homebuilders sentiment index fell more than expected. Overhanging the US market was a rise in Spanish and Italian bond yields, said Dick Green at Briefing.com, adding, "the obsession is building." "The market focus goes through fashions and a shift to Europe would increase anxiety in the US stock market." In US corporate earnings news, Citigroup reported a $2.9 billion profit for the first quarter of the year, beating market forecasts. Shares in the banking giant rose 1.8 percent. Toymaker Mattel plunged 9.1 percent after posting first-quarter profit slightly below expectations, with sales in North America falling 9.0 percent. Wal-Mart rose 1.4 percent. The world's biggest retailer named Marissa Mayer, Google vice president, to its board of directors. Her nomination will be considered at a June 1 shareholders meeting. Technology stocks weighed on the Nasdaq. Apple sank 4.2 percent and Google shed 3.0 percent. Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year US Treasury fell to 1.97 percent from 2.00 percent Friday while the 30-year yield declined to 3.11 percent from 3.15 percent.

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today us stocks mixed as investors mull economic data Arab Today, arab today us stocks mixed as investors mull economic data

 



Arab Today, arab today

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today us stocks mixed as investors mull economic data Arab Today, arab today us stocks mixed as investors mull economic data

 



Arab Today, arab today Designer Rania Adel reveals her new collection

GMT 17:59 2017 Monday ,12 June

Designer Rania Adel reveals her new collection
Arab Today, arab today France defies terrorism through tourism

GMT 15:18 2017 Saturday ,20 May

France defies terrorism through tourism
Arab Today, arab today Mai Al-Jeddawi presents décor ideas for Ramadan
View News in Arabic - Business: أسواق مالية
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today

GMT 09:49 2017 Tuesday ,02 May

Girl barred from Malaysia chess competition

GMT 08:48 2017 Saturday ,06 May

Climate science: Bad news gets worse

GMT 16:25 2017 Sunday ,04 June

“Suhoor” is basic meal for fasting

GMT 06:31 2015 Thursday ,04 June

Pluto's unruly moons

GMT 23:13 2017 Sunday ,18 June

New ransomware virus attacking mobiles in Oman
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday