Arab Today, arab today huge australian coal mine wins conditional approval
Last Updated : GMT 03:33:17
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today

Huge Australian coal mine wins conditional approval

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Huge Australian coal mine wins conditional approval

Canberra - AFP

A huge Aus$6.4 billion (US$6.3 billion) coal mine in Australia\'s Galilee Basin owned by Indian infrastructure giant GVK and the world\'s richest woman Gina Rinehart Tuesday won conditional approval. The Alpha Coal Project in Queensland state is expected to generate 3,600 jobs during construction and nearly 1,000 once in operation, producing around 30 million metric tons of thermal coal each year. Queensland Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jeff Seeney said the mine was given the green light following a four-year process, subject to 128 conditions to manage social and environmental impacts. \"There\'ll be an estimated Aus$11 billion boost to the economy during the mine\'s three year construction phase. 80 percent of that will be retained in Queensland,\" Seeney said in a statement to the local parliament. \"Once operational, Queensland\'s economy should see an economic boost of Aus$1 billion per year from this mine alone. \"Australia can expect an Aus$80 billion dollar rise in exports over the life of the mine,\" he added. The federal government still needs to sign off on the mine that Rinehart\'s Hancock Coal describes as the jewel in the crown of the largely untapped and resource-rich Galilee Basin. The company anticipates construction between 2013 and 2016 with the mine having a 30-year life. Greenpeace vowed to fight the decision, saying the project would undermine efforts to limit global warming. \"This mine would result in 65 million tonnes of carbon pollution a year, which is about the same as putting 18 million cars on the road or it\'s more than 10 percent of Australian emissions,\" said spokesman John Hepburn. Australia is the world\'s largest coal exporter and India is heavily dependent on the resource for power generation. Indian companies are increasingly competing for global coal assets as they build power projects, steel and other plants to fuel the country\'s fast-growing economy. GVK own 79 percent of Alpha Coal with Hancock having the remaining 21 percent stake.

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today huge australian coal mine wins conditional approval Arab Today, arab today huge australian coal mine wins conditional approval

 



Arab Today, arab today

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today huge australian coal mine wins conditional approval Arab Today, arab today huge australian coal mine wins conditional approval

 



Arab Today, arab today France defies terrorism through tourism

GMT 15:18 2017 Saturday ,20 May

France defies terrorism through tourism
Arab Today, arab today Zainab Fadel Oglu designs “Shakerin” mosque

GMT 12:13 2017 Thursday ,11 May

Zainab Fadel Oglu designs “Shakerin” mosque
View News in Arabic - Business: أخبار الشركات
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today Mozambique's gas boom dream under threat

GMT 16:29 2017 Monday ,08 May

Mozambique's gas boom dream under threat
Arab Today, arab today Prepares to give stargazers an eyeful

GMT 13:38 2017 Monday ,06 March

Prepares to give stargazers an eyeful
Arab Today, arab today Jaguar displays XF Sportbrake line

GMT 14:36 2017 Monday ,08 May

Jaguar displays XF Sportbrake line
Arab Today, arab today BMW sees forecasts in reach

GMT 09:04 2017 Thursday ,04 May

BMW sees forecasts in reach
Arab Today, arab today Climate science: Bad news gets worse

GMT 08:48 2017 Saturday ,06 May

Climate science: Bad news gets worse
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday