Apple announced Tuesday a trade-in program to exchange third-party USB chargers for mobile devices for half-price original ones, in response to reports of a deadly accident in China. “While not all third-party adapters have an issue, we are announcing a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program to enable customers to acquire properly designed adapters,” Apple said in a statement quoted by German press agency ‘DPA’. “Customer safety is a top priority at Apple.” The program will kick off in the US on August 16 and last through October 18. The company did not say when similar programs would be rolled out internationally. In return for handing over the third-party manufactured charger, and presenting their iPhone, iPad or iPod for validation, customers will be entitled to purchase one Apple charger per device for 10 dollars, about half their usual cost. The announcement followed reports last month that a Chinese woman was reported to have been fatally electrocuted while talking on her iPhone which was plugged in to a third-party charger. Apple has said that it is investigating the incident.