The number of international tourists rose by 4.0 percent worldwide during the first half of 2015 although security and health concerns hit hard some African destinations, the UN World Tourism Organization said Thursday.
Some 538 million tourists made trips to international destinations between January and June 2015 -- 21 million more compared with the same period last year, the Madrid-based body said in a statement.
"These results show that, despite increased volatility, tourism continues to consolidate the positive performance it has had over the last five years and to provide development and economic opportunities worldwide," said the organization's head Taleb Rifai.
Global tourism figures were hard hit by the global financial crisis, declining 4.0 percent in 2009 as an outbreak of swine flu also contributed to cash-strapped people staying at home but have risen in each year since.
But Africa saw a drop of 6.0 percent.
North Africa, which was shaken by terrorist attacks in Tunisia, a popular lower-cost beach holiday spot for Europeans, saw arrivals fall by 10 percent while sub-Saharan Africa had a decline of 4.0 percent.
"Alongside the impacts of the terrorist attacks, African destinations have been impacted by the aftermath of the Ebola outbreak in a few West African countries and the slower growth of regional economies depending on the export of oil and other commodities," the tourism body said.
Tunisia's tourism industry, which had been recovering after the Arab Spring unrest, was badly shaken in March by an attack on the Bardo museum in Tunis, followed by one in June in the resort of Sousse, that killed a total of 59 tourists.
The UN World Tourism Organization predicts international tourism arrivals will increase by 3.0-4.0 percent during all of 2015, after expanding by 4.7 percent last year.