Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab's last week decision to continue cotton imports for this year was welcomed widely among industrial circles.
The decision was taken after the Agriculture Ministry ordered on July 7 suspending imports of all types of cotton expect for shipments prior to July 4.
Chairman of the Federation of Egyptian Industries (FEI) Mohamed el Sewedi told MENA that manufacturers were relieved by Mahlab's decision.
After the Eid vacation, a study will be compiled to include all parties involved in the industry – farmers and manufacturers – to probe cotton agricultural policies and seek solutions without marginalizing any sides, Sewedi said.
Meanwhile, FEI's taxes committee member Mohamed el Bahi said the import ban decision was not thoroughly studied before being issued and had a negative impact on Egyptian exports as cotton imports are remade and exported