Arab Today, arab today iran \to seal off eastern borders by 2015\
Last Updated : GMT 08:53:10
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today

Iran \'to seal off eastern borders by 2015\'

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Iran \'to seal off eastern borders by 2015\'

Tehran - AFP

Iran will completely seal off its eastern borders with Afghanistan and Pakistan by 2015 to prevent drug smuggling and infiltration of armed groups, media quoted the police chief on Saturday as saying. \"About 90 percent of Iran\'s eastern borders have already been sealed,\" Arman newspaper quoted General Esmaeil Ahmadi Moghaddam as saying. \"The remaining 10 percent, in the region of Saravan (near the southeastern border with Pakistan) will be closed within three years,\" he said. \"The border will be sealed even to pedestrians.\" In early 1990, Iran began to build a \"wall\" to seal its approximately 1,800 kilometre-long (1,100 mile) border with its neighbours to control drug trafficking and infiltration of armed rebel groups or bandits. The border \"wall,\" which sometimes consists simply of fencing and barbed wire, is strengthened by a thousand kilometres of embankments, ditches, canals or cement walls. According to official figures, some 3,700 members of Iran\'s security forces have been killed in a three-decade long battle with drug traffickers and armed groups, often equipped with heavy weapons in the restive eastern provinces. Nonetheless, the country is still a main corridor for drug traffickers who smuggle narcotics from Afghanistan -- which the United Nations says produces 90 percent of the world\'s opium -- to the Middle East and Europe. Ahmadi Moghaddam said over the 12 months to March 2011, Tehran seized some 420 tonnes of drugs, or nearly 80 percent of the opium and 40 percent of heroin seized in the world, according to official figures confirmed by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime in Tehran. Iran\'s southeastern province of Sistan-Baluchestan is also regularly infiltrated by armed rebel groups, fuelling chronic insecurity in an area mostly populated by Sunni citizens. Tehran accuses US intelligence and Pakistan of supporting the Sunni extremist group Jundallah (Army of God), which has claimed a series of deadly attacks leaving hundreds dead over the past 10 years in Iranian eastern provinces.

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today iran \to seal off eastern borders by 2015\ Arab Today, arab today iran \to seal off eastern borders by 2015\

 



Arab Today, arab today

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today iran \to seal off eastern borders by 2015\ Arab Today, arab today iran \to seal off eastern borders by 2015\

 



Arab Today, arab today France defies terrorism through tourism

GMT 15:18 2017 Saturday ,20 May

France defies terrorism through tourism
Arab Today, arab today Zainab Fadel Oglu designs “Shakerin” mosque

GMT 12:13 2017 Thursday ,11 May

Zainab Fadel Oglu designs “Shakerin” mosque
View News in Arabic - Country: أخبار المدن
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today Mozambique's gas boom dream under threat

GMT 16:29 2017 Monday ,08 May

Mozambique's gas boom dream under threat
Arab Today, arab today Prepares to give stargazers an eyeful

GMT 13:38 2017 Monday ,06 March

Prepares to give stargazers an eyeful
Arab Today, arab today Jaguar displays XF Sportbrake line

GMT 14:36 2017 Monday ,08 May

Jaguar displays XF Sportbrake line
Arab Today, arab today BMW sees forecasts in reach

GMT 09:04 2017 Thursday ,04 May

BMW sees forecasts in reach
Arab Today, arab today Climate science: Bad news gets worse

GMT 08:48 2017 Saturday ,06 May

Climate science: Bad news gets worse
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday