Nine soldiers and three civilians were injured in the bloody confrontations that broke out in Taiz on Monday between militias of Houthis and ousted president Ali Abdallah Saleh on the one hand and resistance and army forces on the other hand, the Yemeni military council in Taiz.
The militias intensified shelling of civil directorates' buildings, the council said on Tuesday.
The Taiz governor had talks with the resident United Nations envoy in Yemen and army leaderships on means of securing needs of besieged cities, the council said, highlighting that hard conditions facing Taiz on the back of militias' intransigence and insistence on proceeding with the war.
Yemen has been entangled in civil war when Houthis and Saleh supporters attempted a coup against the internationally recognized Yemeni government of Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi.
Almost a year ago, Saudi Arabia led an Arab coalition forces to back Hadi and resistance forces.
For months now, a battle has been raging in Taiz, where the UN has accused Houthi fighters and their allies of blocking desperately needed humanitarian supplies to the town of 200,000. Meanwhile, Aden, the only area coalition forces have so far managed to “liberate” (in July last year), is beset by lawlessness. The conflict has spread across the entire country. Today, civilians are suffering in the fighting tearing Yemen apart.
Twenty of Yemen’s 22 governorates are precariously poised on the verge of devastating famine.
Source : MENA