At least two Afghan security guards were killed Tuesday morning after a Taliban suicide car bombing targeted a NATO-led coalition's base in eastern part of Afghan capital of Kabul, the latest in a string of deadly attacks in the war-torn country, sources said.
"A suicide truck bomb was hit into a gate of a NATO military base in Dispachari locality in Kabul at around 6:35 a.m. (0205 GMT) , killing two security guards," a security official told Xinhua anonymously.
Two other armed militants hiding in the area tried to enter the base shortly after the attack, but they were shot dead by security forces, the source said, adding the base was involved in training of Afghan army and police.
One NATO-led soldier was also wounded in the incident. The attack also destroyed parts of the compound, sources said.
Following the blast, the Taliban insurgent group has claimed responsibility for the incident.
Zabiullah Mujahid, a purported Taliban spokesman, told local media that the insurgent group carried out the attack, killing over a dozen Afghan and foreign security forces.
The Taliban has intensified attacks over the past couple of months as the NATO and U.S. forces are withdrawing from the country.
On Sunday, a suicide car bombing targeted the armored vehicle of a female lawmaker near the parliament building in western Kabul, killing three civilians and injuring 32 others.
In a separate incident, two police were injured and several militants were killed following a clash in Chardara District of northern Kunduz province on early Tuesday morning, a provincial police spokesman Sayyed Sarwar Housanni told Xinhua.
"The clash occurred after a group of Taliban stormed security checkpoints in the area but the security force repelled the attack, killing several militants in the area," he said.
Afghan security forces took the full operational lead from foreign troops in mid-last year.
The war-torn country is due to take over the responsibility for its own security from NATO-led troops by the end of year.