107 people, including 70 journalists, have so far been arrested
London – Arabstoday
Former News of the World deputy editor Neil Wallis has been told he will not face allegations of phone-hacking, after a Metropolitan Police investigation into journalistic ethics and impropriety at the now
folded Murdoch-owned tabloid.
Wallis, who has faced two months of police bail, could not be tried because of a lack of evidence, police said.
Posting on Twitter after the announcement on Friday morning, the former News International employee said: “After 21 months of hell for my family, CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) have just told my solicitors that there will be no prosecution of me re my phone-hacking arrest."
The Crown Prosecution Service later confirmed the announcement.
"Having carefully considered the matter, the CPS has concluded that there is insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction in relation to that journalist," it said.
Wallis, aged 61, was first arrested in July 2011 during the height of the hacking scandal.
So far 107 people, including more than 70 journalists, have been arrested for alleged phone-hacking abuses at the newspaper owned by controversial media baron Rupert Murdoch.