All public and private schools in northeast Nigeria's state of Yobe have been closed down following a suicide bomb attack on a school on Monday, an official said Tuesday.
The attack on the Government Science Secondary School at Potiskum area had claimed 48 lives and injured 79 others.
The closure was with immediate effect, Muhammad Lamin, the state Commissioner for Education said in Damaturu, the state capital.
Lamin said government decided to close the schools to enable it adopt more security measures to guarantee the safety of students, teachers and the school environment across the state.
The radical Islamist group Boko Haram is thought to have carried out the attack. The group has been responsible for a string of attacks in Nigeria, including the kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls earlier this year.