Arab Today, arab today wales\ school buildings programme £14bn
Last Updated : GMT 07:01:29
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today

Wales\' school buildings programme £1.4bn

Arab Today, arab today

Arab Today, arab today Wales\' school buildings programme £1.4bn

London - Arabstoday

£1.4bn funding for the first wave of Wales\' biggest ever school building programme has been announced.Half of the money will be supplied by councils in a programme which has been scaled back since being suspended in July because of a lack of funds.The funding for council priority projects will now take seven years to complete, instead of the original three.The Welsh government highlighted substantial cuts by the UK government.The plan involves prioritising projects for \"difficult economic times\".Work is due to start later, will be spread over a longer period and councils will be expected to fund a larger contribution than first envisaged.The initial phase was originally supposed to run over three years but will now stretch to seven. However, Gwynedd council, which receives £18m towards a £36m programme, has been refused funding for plans for reorganisation of schools in the Eifionydd, Moelwyn, Botwnnog and Dyffryn Ogwen catchment areas.Councillor Liz Saville-Roberts said they hoped to hold further funding discussions and the bidding round had allowed them to \"make a declaration of intent as regards our reorganisation strategy\".The Welsh government said the funding for the 21st Century Schools programme was \"realistic\" and it still hopes eventually to spend about £4bn.Education Minister Leighton Andrews said: \"Securing capital investment in these difficult economic times is essential not only for better education outcomes but for the continued support of our construction industry and the growth of our economy.Peter Fox, education spokesman for the Welsh Local Government Association, said: \"This is great news for local government and should be welcomed by learners across Wales.\"Despite the very difficult funding situation, the joint approach to developing this programme has paid off.\"Martin Lipson, the former director of the 21st Century Schools programme, said the funding was to be welcomed if councils could find the money they had promised.\"I don\'t think the councils have got the money that\'s needed to carry out this programme unfortunately, because the original plan that we conceived was that local authorities would have to find about 30% of the costs of the project, leaving 70% to be found by the Welsh government,\" he said.\"I do fear that when it comes to the presentation of their business cases which are needed to draw down the funding, some of them will in fact not be able to find that much money.\"David Evans, secretary of NUT Wales, said it recognised the difficult financial position the Welsh government was in as a result of UK government cuts.However he added: \"With that said, we are disappointed at the scaling back of a project that we publicly welcomed and which was overdue.\"We obviously welcome the money that will be spent, but there is no doubt that with such a difference in expenditure between what was originally proposed, and what is to be delivered, the impact that we can expect will not be as radical as hoped at the outset of the project.\"There can be no doubt now, that what will be delivered is a mend and make do programme that will not go far enough and may, in some circumstances, amount to nothing more than a false economy falling far short of the aim to deliver 21st Century schools for this generation of school children.\"Many councils said they had based figures on the local authority\'s cost being 30%, with the Welsh government funding the remaining 70%.But a few months ago they were told to increase contributions to 50% and to resubmit proposals accordingly.More than £415m has already been invested in a precursor initiative, the 21st Century Schools transitional programme, which supported specific capital projects.Conservative education spokeswoman Angela Burns welcomed the funding to tackle the repair backlog but added: \"It is a shame that ministers squandered so much money in good economic times and have now failed to take advantage of other available funding sources to make our school buildings fit for the 21st Century\".She blamed ideology for Welsh Labour ministers failing to support Welsh Conservative public-private partnership plans.

arabstoday
arabstoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today wales\ school buildings programme £14bn Arab Today, arab today wales\ school buildings programme £14bn

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

Arab Today, arab today wales\ school buildings programme £14bn Arab Today, arab today wales\ school buildings programme £14bn

 



Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today Youssra depended on colored foam

GMT 16:53 2017 Tuesday ,05 September

Youssra depended on colored foam
Arab Today, arab today US travel restrictions are still 'Muslim ban'

GMT 00:54 2017 Tuesday ,26 September

US travel restrictions are still 'Muslim ban'
Arab Today, arab today Etiquette expert underlines importance of gifts

GMT 17:52 2017 Sunday ,03 September

Etiquette expert underlines importance of gifts
Arab Today, arab today Israel builds settlements 'at high rate'

GMT 01:04 2017 Tuesday ,26 September

Israel builds settlements 'at high rate'
Arab Today, arab today North Korea 'more opaque'

GMT 10:50 2017 Sunday ,24 September

North Korea 'more opaque'
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today Personality study finds fish have hidden depths

GMT 00:43 2017 Tuesday ,26 September

Personality study finds fish have hidden depths
Arab Today, arab today 'Lady Beast' fights for girl gamers

GMT 10:27 2017 Sunday ,24 September

'Lady Beast' fights for girl gamers
Arab Today, arab today Botanical gardens a lifeboat

GMT 02:50 2017 Tuesday ,26 September

Botanical gardens a lifeboat
Arab Today, arab today The history of solar eclipses

GMT 05:16 2017 Sunday ,20 August

The history of solar eclipses
Arab Today, arab today Chevrolet's first 9-speed auto debuts

GMT 18:58 2017 Monday ,25 September

Chevrolet's first 9-speed auto debuts
Arab Today, arab today Third generation adds more power

GMT 13:40 2017 Sunday ,24 September

Third generation adds more power
Arab Today, arab today Lebleba is preoccupied in filming 'Back Street'

GMT 08:56 2017 Thursday ,21 September

Lebleba is preoccupied in filming 'Back Street'
Arab Today, arab today Conditions growing dire    

GMT 09:22 2017 Monday ,25 September

Conditions growing dire    

GMT 08:59 2017 Wednesday ,20 September

Youssra prepares for launching her program

GMT 10:16 2017 Friday ,22 September

All eyes on May as she prepares

GMT 16:53 2017 Saturday ,02 September

Mai importance of gifts during Eid Al-Adha

GMT 05:05 2017 Sunday ,24 September

Psychologists help Mexico deal

GMT 10:46 2017 Saturday ,05 August

Nanis reveals simple ideas for home renovation

GMT 12:02 2017 Sunday ,24 September

Harry visits mental health hospital

GMT 12:09 2017 Sunday ,24 September

Taxi! Transport gets an overhaul

GMT 17:12 2017 Monday ,07 August

Al-Shawaifi reveals secrets of total solar eclipse

GMT 12:46 2017 Thursday ,21 September

Google likely to buy stake in Taiwan smartphone maker HTC

GMT 11:37 2017 Saturday ,12 August

Fashion designer reveals her new collection
Arab Today, arab today
Arab Today, arab today
 
 Arab Today Facebook,arab today facebook  Arab Today Twitter,arab today twitter Arab Today Rss,arab today rss  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube  Arab Today Youtube,arab today youtube
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday arabstoday arabstoday
arabstoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
arabstoday, Arabstoday, Arabstoday