Japan on Monday strongly condemned the cyberattack into Sony Pictures Entertainment's computer system, which the US blamed on North Korea. "Cyberattacks are grave issues that affect national security. We strongly condemn the hacking," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a press conference.
The top government spokesman made remarks after US President Barack Obama said Sunday that will sternly respond to the alleged North Korean cyberattack on Sony "Japan supports the US handling of the case, and will closely work with the US and the international community," said Suga.
"The US had determined that North Korean authorities were responsible for the hacking based on objective and detailed information. Japan is receiving related information from the US," he said.
But Suga declined to comment whether Tokyo supports Washington's response to consider putting the North back onto the list of countries that sponsor terrorism for its alleged hacking.
Last week, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said it had found enough evidence that the North Korean regime was responsible for the Sony hacking that has resulted in the cancellation of the release of a comedy film that features an assassination plot against the North's leader Kim Jong-un.
Suga also said cyberattack has no impact on ongoing bilateral talks with North Korea over the fate of Japanese citizens abducted by Pyongyang agents in the 1970s and 1980s.
"Japan will continue to urge North Korea to quickly and honestly report the results to Japan on its investigation into the fate of Japanese abductees," he added.