Social media platforms should reject videos from terrorists the same way they ban child pornography, France's homeland security secretary said, according to NBC News.
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who is in the US for the White House summit on violent extremism, heads Friday to California's Silicon Valley for meetings at Google, Twitter, and Facebook.
"I want to start a dialogue with these companies. This isn't about forcing them to take action, it's about enlisting their support," Cazeneuve told a group of reporters in Washington, DC.
"But they need to realize that we face a new threat."
Cazeneuve said the tech giants should do more to prevent terrorist organizations from posting recruiting videos that target a younger audience and that depict violent acts such as beheadings.
"What is the value of showing the Kouchi brothers killing a policeman, or Khoulibali declaring allegiance to the Islamic State?" Cazeneuve asked, referring to the terrorists in Paris who last month attacked the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and a Jewish market.