An Australian woman and four journalists accused of kidnapping her children from their Lebanese father in Beirut were released on bail Wednesday after he dropped the charges against them.
Sally Faulkner and the Australian television crew were charged last week for reportedly abducting Faulkner’s two young children from their father, Ali Al-Amin, in the Lebanese capital.
“I have agreed to release the Australian crew and the mother on bail after the children’s father and grandmother dropped the personal charges against all five of them,” judge Ramy Abdallah told a packed courtroom. Faulkner and the crew from Channel Nine’s “60 Minutes” program were seen being released late Wednesday afternoon.
Faulkner and reporter Tara Brown looked relieved as they walked out of Lebanon’s women-only jail northeast of the capital into a nearby van.
Her producer, cameraman and sound recordist were released from the courthouse in Beirut.
According to Channel Nine’s chief correspondent Tom Steinfort in Beirut, the crew “is in a van headed for Beirut airport.” The crew and Faulkner still face charges by Lebanon’s public prosecutor, but they can be sentenced in absentia.
Speaking to journalists, Amin said Faulkner would be able to see the children, but said that he had full custody. “I told her, you’re their mother and you’ll stay their mother. This is their country just like Australia is their country,” said Amin. He said he had not told his children that their mother was in jail, but that she was traveling.