Russian oil major Rosneft will file a lawsuit against Kommersant business daily for its report on the company’s allegedly prepared proposals on new retaliatory sanctions against the West, Rosneft CEO Igor Sechin said on Wednesday.
Kommersant reported earlier that Rosneft allegedly prepared a set of measures aimed at support of the national economy amid Western sanctions.
According to the daily, the proposed measures ranged between restrictions on nuclear fuel burials and blunt expropriation of foreign equipment. The daily also said that the relevant document was sent to President Vladimir Putin for consideration.
The Kremlin and Rosneft rejected the report saying it was not true.
Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov said “This absolutely does not correspond to reality,” adding that “This is not true that there are some proposals from Rosneft.”
Rosneft said in its official statement earlier on Wednesday that it was likely to sue the daily for publishing false information.
“Publications of such ‘proposals’ cause damage not to the company and its shareholders but the whole Russian economy as well,” the company said in its statement.