Cairo Criminal Court adjourned Thursday until June 25 the retrial of seven defendants on charges of instigating against Egypt through broadcasting false news and fake scenes on Qatar's Aljazeera news channel.
The defense panel has called for exonerating the defendants in view of annulled arrest warrants.
Journalists of Aljazeera English are among the seven provisionally held defendants whose previous rulings were annulled by the Cassation Court.
Giza Criminal Court had found all seven defendants guilty of instigation and sentenced them to seven years rigorous imprisonment each.
Another 11 fugitives had received 10 years rigorous imprisonment each.
Two defendants had been acquitted.
A probe by the public prosecution had revealed that some of the defendants were members of the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood group and had supplied them with money and equipment with the aim to harm state interests and foment sedition.
The defendants had deliberately broadcast false news and information with the aim to convey an untrue picture about the situation in the country, the prosecution said, noting that they wanted to depict a civil war in Egypt.
Sixteen of the defendants are accused of joining a group formed in violation of law, the Muslim Brotherhood, with the aim to lobby for suspending articles of the constitution and laws, and to prevent state authorities from carrying out their duties, and to attack the personal freedoms of citizens and public rights and freedoms, and to harm national unity and social peace.
Terrorism was one way used by the Muslim Brotherhood to implement their agenda, according to the probe.
Eight of the defendants had in their possession flyers and recordings that contained provocative material promoted by a group formed in violation of law.
The probe showed that all defendants had supplied the group with financial and material aid, as well as information.
Twelve of the defendants had communications and transmission equipment without obtaining licenses from the administrative bodies concerned, the prosecution said, adding that their aim was to undermine national security.
One defendant had a bullet in his possession, the prosecution further said.
Sixteen of the defendants, all Egyptians, had deliberately broadcast false news and rumors about the situation at home from abroad. They had posted the false news and fake scenes on the internet and broadcast them on Qatar's Aljazeera channel, the prosecution said, adding that their aim was to convey to the outside world that a civil war was going on in the country.
All defendants are accused of broadcasting the false news and fake videos, nonetheless.