France's Muslim leadership on Wednesday unanimously condemned the attack on satirical magazine "Charlie Hebdo" where twelve people were shot dead and eight wounded earlier in the day by three masked gunmen.
The magazine had received threats from Islamist extremist groups linked with Al-Qaeda, which is suspected of being behind the killings.
No organisation has as yet taken responsibility for the attack on the weekly magazine and an investigation is underway.
"This extremely grave, barbaric act is also an attack against democracy and the freedom of the press," the French Muslim Religious Council (CFCM) said in a statement.
The President of the CFCM, Dr. Dalil Boubakeur, visited the scene of the crime and said all Muslims disassociated themselves from such actions.
Muslims were also advised to be cautious in the event of any amalgam between this "terrorist" attack and were warned against manipulations in the post-attack period.